What does it do?
The FCC Speed Test app accurately measures your mobile broadband performance and displays an in-depth view of its factors (e.g. download and upload speed, latency, and packet loss).
Why download it?
Learn about your mobile broadband performance in one click. Track it over time.
What about privacy?
No personally-identifiable information is collected whatsoever. Testing is totally anonymous.
Still curious? Read below for more detail.
Mobile broadband has become part of our everyday infrastructure. We hope the app helps provide greater clarity about your mobile broadband performance.
Once installed, the app will run periodically in the background. It will automatically perform tests when you aren’t using your smartphone. Aggregated, anonymous data will also help us build a map of mobile broadband performance across the country.
Privacy is paramount. The FCC has taken significant measures to ensure the privacy and confidentiality of volunteers for this program. Using privacy measures developed and reviewed by a diverse team of privacy experts, any data that could potentially identify specific smartphones is analyzed and processed to ensure privacy protection.
How does this help you?
• Access real-time performance data on your device.
• Historical results available at the touch of a screen.
• Be a volunteer! You can help the FCC’s Measuring Broadband America program in developing the first open and transparent information on mobile broadband performance in the United States.
• Tests run automatically, you don’t even have to think about it.
• Run manual tests on Download Speed, Upload Speed, Latency and Packet Loss.
• Additional passive metrics collected such as Cell ID, Signal Strength and GPS location.
• By default, testing is limited to 100 MB per month–always consider your broadband usage carefully on limited data allowance plans.
• Raise your data cap to see more performance data.
• Lower your data cap and set a date to reset data caps so you don’t go over the limit on your plan