RetroArch is a powerful engine that allows you to:
* Play games (retro and more current ones)
* Watch movies (soon)
* Other stuff (augmented reality, etc) (soon)
It comes with its own built-in collection of applications to provide you with a ‘one-stop-shop’ for entertainment.
RetroArch is an open-source project that makes use of a powerful development interface called Libretro. Libretro is an interface that allows you to make cross-platform applications that can use rich features such as OpenGL, cross-platform camera support, location support, and more in the future.
Libretro and RetroArch are perfectly suited for creating games and (in the near future) apps leveraging the features of mobile phones and tablets.
RetroArch and the Libretro API has above all proven itself to be a very capable API for emulators, and this package includes an overwhelming amount of open-source emulators to use. Most of these have been vetted by the original authors and have their consent. In the instances where they are not, all effort has been taken to ensure there are no license problems.
– The permissions necessitating ‘camera’ and ‘location services’ are only there because Libretro cores now have the ability to make use of these features on the platform that supports them. As of right now, only two test cores (Modelviewer Location and Instancingviewer Camera) make use of them. NOTE – the camera and location functionality will NEVER be used without your consent, and it will never be used in cores where it isn’t part of the actual user experience (ie. not most emulators).
– RetroArch as an app empowers users to do what they want to do. It does not seek to monetize userbases, it does not seek to exploit human psychology and making you give up your money with crappy cynical ‘farm’ games, it gives you total power to do what you want to do.
* No DRM
* No restrictions on usage
* No push ads
* No spying
* No ads period
* And best of all, totally free